This is an exploration of why and how people choose to display objects, artefacts and collectibles. as well as learning one method for making a box (3D) frame.
It forms one session in our business development weeks being held throughout the country. You can book 3D FRAMING as:
- a one day course
- alongside any of the other elements of the Business Week as a sort of “Pick & Mix”
- as part of a full Business Development Week.
It is run as a one day course, running from 10.00 am until 5.00 pm
What previous experience should I have?
Students should have completed BASICS OF FRAMING and MOUNT CUTTING & DECORATION or have some experience of making 2D frames with mounts.
Trainers will assume that you are:
- Familiar with specialist tools used in basic framing;
- Able to cut mitres in mouldings and know how to form and fix a frame.
- Know how to plan, mark out and cut mounts
What will the course cover?
Once you grasp how to build frames, you will become more adventurous. With memorabilia and souvenirs increasing in popularity, people want to find ways of framing all sorts of objects. For some it is a simple matter of displaying things they like, for others it is adding value to saleable items. The simple solution is to build a box frame. This course takes you through many of the underlying principles of this type of project as well as guiding you through a specific project to illustrate it.
This type of framing also allows the framer to indulge their own creativity and cunning as they can produce unique and decoratively displayed exhibits.
Through clear explanation, demonstration and your own “hands on” practice, you will learn about general principles:
- the concept of shadow box frames, their uses and construction.
- how objects and collectibles can be displayed
- how to create depth in a frame and how to display some items.
You will then learn how to produce a simple 3D Frame for an object by;
- building a display box / frame;
- creating a lining from mount board;
- cutting suitable mounts to enhance the display;
- building a frame for the display box and cutting a glazed panel;
- finding out about the options for staging / showing / attaching objects;
- assembling the whole, framed object;
- using the appropriate fixings for hanging this type of frame
Cost includes all tools and materials supplied.
What do I need to bring with me?
You will be provided with an object for framing. You will produce your own, professionally finished 3D Frame: it will be simple to remove the object provided and replace it with something of your own at a later stage.
Book Now or View More Courses